Some of our good news, both personal and professional:
Nate Stender is spending Summer 2014 at the LIRMM in France. He has joined
Robert and Berthe who have spend the entire academic year at the LIRMM.
Daniel Geschwender submitted his undergraduate honors thesis and graduated with
a BS, double majoring in CS and Math. He is the recipient of an NSF Graduate
Fellowship for 2014--2017. He participated in the UNL 2014 Research Fair
where he presented the research supported by UCARE, Goldwater Scholorship, and
NSF REU supplement.
Jeff Juedong Zhang defended his MS project, graduated, and took up a new
position at Cerner Corporation.
Robert Woodward received the Chateabriand Fellowship and an NSF GROW grant to
spend a year at the LIRMM in Montpellier collaborating with Dr. Christian
Nate Stender spent Summer 2013 at Adventium Labs, working with Mark Boddy.
- Daniel Geschwender received the Goldwater Scholarship 2013-2014. He spent
Summer 2013 working with Kevin Leyton-Brown and Holger Hoos at the University
of British Columbia (UBC), Vancouver.
Mary Bourke received the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship in May 2013. She has
decided to work in the industry for one year.
Shant Karakashian graduated in May 2013, moved with his wife, Gassia, to the Boston area, with a new position at MathWorks. They are expecting their first child.
During Summer 2012, Daniel Geschwender had a summer research internship at
SIFT working with Mike Boldt (mentor) and Dr. David Musliner (project
- During Summer 2011, Anthony Schneider went for a research summer internship
- Anagh Lal and wife, Abhilasha Saharia, welcome their first child,
son Athrav, born on Nov 11th, 2011 in Singapore. Many years!
- Robert J. Woodward gets married in Lincoln to Allison Smith.
- Shant Karakashian gets engaged in Beirut to Gassia.
- Robert J. Woodward receives a 2011 National Science Foundation Graduate Research
- ConSystLab alumni Xu Lin (MS 2003), who is finishing his phd at
the Univ. of British Columbia, has been awarded the 2010 IJCAII-JAIR Best Paper
Prize for his 2008 JAIR paper on SATzilla. Further, Xu Lin and
wife Ping are expecting their second child, a baby girl, for July
2010. Xu Lin will not be able to attend AAAI 2010 or present his
paper accepted at that conference because of the imminent happy event.
Congratulations to Xu Lin.
- Robert J. Woodward receives the CSE 2010-2011 David E. Klarner
Fellowship for Computer Science.
- Robert J. Woodward was induced in the prestigious Phi Beta
Kappa honor society. April 28, 2010.
- Shant Karakashian receives the CSE 2009-2010 Outstanding Graduate
Teaching Assistant Award.
- Robert J. Woodward receives the CSE 2009-2010 Outstanding
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant Award.
- Jason Gaare receives a second-year UCARE grant. Trevor Janke and
Sean Hicks receive a first year UCARE grant. 2009-2010.
- Berthe Y. Choueiry receives the CSE 2009-2010 "Student Choice
Outstanding Teaching Award for Graduate Level." (For every student
happy, dozens may not be.. but they kept quiet!)
- Berthe Y. Choueiry receives a "Certificate of Recognition for
Contributions to Students," awarded by the UNL Parents Association and
the UNL Teaching Council. 2010. (For every student happy, dozens may
not be.. but their parents kept quiet!)
- ConSystLab alumni Joel Gompert (MS 2005) gets married in
California to fiancee Lizzie.
- Robert J. Woodward received the Chancellor's Scholarship in Math
and Science for academic year 2009-2010 ($5000). May 2009.
- Berthe Y. Choueiry receives the CSE 2008-2009 "Student Choice
Outstanding Teaching Award for Upper Division Courses." (For every
student happy, dozens may not be.. but they kept quiet!)
- Peter Schlette receives a first-year UCARE grant. 2008-2009.
- Anagh Lal, ConSystLab alumni, married Abhilasha Saharia, a Mumbai dentist. July 2008.
- Robert Woodward receives the CSE 2007-2008 Outstanding
Undergraduate Research Award.
- Kenneth M. Bayer receives the CSE 2007-2009 Outstanding Master's
- Josh Reed and Robert Woodward receive a second-year UCARE grant.
- Robert Woodward receives the Barry M. Goldwater
Scholarship. He is one of nine CS major in the entire nation to
receive this prestigious award. March 2008.
- Josh Reed and Robert Woodward receive a first-year UCARE grant.
- Ken Bayer has his first baby boy, Drake Isaac Bayer, born on
January 15, 2007.
- Zou Hui has his first baby girl, Valerie Zou, born on
Novermber 11, 2006.
- Xu Lin has his first baby boy, Daniel Bin-Bin Xu, born on June
- Anagh Lal is selected as the recipient of the 2006
Folsom Distinguished Master's Thesis Award.
- Yaling Zheng receives a travel grant to participate in the
doctoral program of CP
2005 held in Sitges (Spain).
- Yaling Zheng receives a travel grant to participate in the First
International Summer School on Constraint Programming held in
Acquafredda di Maratea (Italy).
- Ryan Lim receives a travel grant to participate in the 25th
National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 04) held in
- Joel Gompert receives a travel grant to participate in the Game Developers
Conference (2005). .
- Yaling gets married on March 18, 2005, with a heavy representation
from the lab at the wedding.
- Jane gave birth to Larry MingRui Li,
a baby boy, on November 11, 2004. (Pictures: Larry with Mom, Larry giggles.)
- Joel Gompert (accepts) and Praveen Guddeti
(declines) receive travel grant to participate in the doctoral program
of CP 2004.
- Ryan Lim receives travel grant to participate
- The group presents a poster at the UNL
Research Fair and Sigma/Xi poster competition. Picture of our poster and team. April 2004.
- Eva Lisel Davis is born to Amy &
Chester Davis on April 19, 2004.
- Shi Yang receives travel grant to participate in the CRA Grad
Cohort Workshop. Picture of the AI
Group. February 2004.
Party, 2004 (Japanese: ShinNenKai).
End of Year Party,
2002 (Japanese: BooNenKai) Picture by Jim
in the News: hired as a conctractor at NASA Ames Research Center
during Summer 2002.
- Daniel Buettner, Lin Xu, and Hui Zou receive travel grant to
participate in SARA 2002
- Robert Glaubius receives travel grant to participate in the program
of CP 2002 (declines).
Amy's new bundle, Micah Bennet Davis (Picture on Oct 6, with Mom, and with Dad's hand)
- Daniel Buettner and Joel Gompert spend Summer 2001 at Honeywell
Research Laboratories (MN).
- Amy Davis receives travel grant to participate in the program
of CP 2001 (declines).